Welcome Back Juniors!!
Welcome to the world of upperclassmen! There are many important activities in the junior year. The PSAT in the fall kicks off your year of standardized testing. Over the course of the year, you will take the PSAT in October, the Smarter Balanced Assessment Test (SBAC) in March or April and the SAT I in April, May or June. Some of you may even take the SAT II tests if required by your colleges and universities.
In your junior year, you will continue your college search and exploration with your school counselor on www.californiacolleges.edu. You will continue to visit some colleges and universities with the hope of having a list of schools by the end of the year in June. With all of this, you must keep your fine academic performance and your active involvement moving along.
There are several things you should keep in mind over the course of your third year at Southeast Academy High School.
JUNIORS TO-DO LIST:
* Meet with your school counselor. Stop by to say hello!
* Check the counseling website frequently.
* Take challenging courses and earn the best grades that you can. The GPA that will be sent to colleges is calculated at the end of your junior year.
* Work on building strong relationships with your teachers. You’ll need to ask two of them for a letter of recommendation in the fall of your senior year.
* The PSAT will be offered to all juniors in October.
* Register for the SAT I in the spring. Most juniors take the SAT I Reasoning Test in May. Some students will take the ACT, another college admissions test, at the same time. Register for each at their respective websites: www.collegeboard.com or www.act.org
* Study for the SAT and/or ACT. The more time you put in the better your scores will be.
* Start writing your 4 selected Personal Insight Questions.
* Get involved! Join a club, drill team, color guard, continue to do the things you love! Build that resume!
* Think about the classes you like the best and consider potential college majors.
* Explore your college options on www.californiacolleges.edu and with your school counselor.
* Start checking out colleges online. Use www.californiacolleges.edu.
* Attend the Norwalk-La Mirada USD College and Career Expo in October.
* Attend the mini-college fairs offered through the counseling department.